Friday, March 5, 2010

What a day!

Today was interesting..to say the least. Chloie and I had a rough night sleeping (I had about 2 1/2 hours of sleep), then woke up early for a Dr's appointment. Then my day care kiddo Grant came over for the day. We had to leave right at naptime to go downtown, so both of them missed their naps, which made for some very cranky babies. And somehow taking a late nap meant cutting naptime in half. *sigh*. So most of the day was spent crying and yawning.

Then Robin came home, and I breathed a sigh of relief as I finally had some help. As the end of the day neared Grant went home to his Momma & Daddy, and Chloie went to spend some time with her Grandma. Robin and I ventured to Best Buy to go laptop shopping. Which even though I did all the research, and decided exactly what laptop we wanted before we got there, we still spent 20 min searching for someone to actually get it for us. We decided to go with the Toshiba Satellite A505. So far I really like it, it has the new i3-330m processor, 4gb ddr3 ram, a 500gb hard drive, a 12 cell lithium ion battery, a 16in screen, hdmi outputs, and much more. It fits everything we need for only $679. Not a bad price since this will be our main computer (our desktop..from Walmart, worst idea EVER...is barely holding together). But as we were checking out I was quickly disappointed. The 2 year warranty for $149 is only available online, and its $199 in stores, for the EXACT same thing, AND only in our district. So my options were: drive a few hours away and pay $149 in stores; go home, order the laptop online, pay for it, and have it picked up in store and only pay the $149; or bite the bullet and pay the $199 in a monthly plan of $14 a month for the duration of the warranty. Since we were already in a rush to get home, we took one for the team. I'm not very happy about it, but it seemed like such a hassle to leave, and then still have to come back the next day.

One our way home to pick up Chloie, my brother (who is living in our basement) calls to say my house is FLOODED!!! Are you kidding me? Seriously??? He flushed the toilet, didn't check to make sure it actually went down (we live in a rental with slum lords who have yet to actually fix the toilet with multiple service calls over the last 6 months we've been here), and it sat and ran over. Since he stays in the basement, the water filled the bathroom, then the kitchen right below it, and then finally into the basement on my washer & dryer (which he had better PRAY my dryer still works) before he realized it. So he and Robin spent the night shop-vacuuming the water up, laying all my important papers out to dry so that I can make copies of them, and throwing away everything ruined. I now have a hole in my kitchen ceiling, lord knows how much of the drywall, carpet, or vinyl flooring is damaged, a non-working ceiling fan, and a better be working dryer. Fortunately our main electronics were spared, but we lost a Garmin gps, and Ipod shuffle. They will be missed. Robin now gets to use my hot pink Ipod until we can find a reasonably priced replacement. However, my orchid plant that I got for V-Day doesn't have to be watered! I guess that's one good thing that came out of it all!

And I am finally playing with my new laptop! Now I just need to find a messenger style bag, that has a pocket for my laptop, but can also carry some small books, papers, etc, for school. Best Buy had a really cute one, but I'm not about to pay $56 for a bag. I'm too cheap for all that.

I guess you can only have so much good happen, before the bad starts setting in. Lets just hope flooding my house is the end of it!!!

No comments: